Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rants and Ramblings: Stories that won't go away, NHL Dream Matchups, White Sox and The LeBrons


I know I don’t have a Nielson’s rating box, but whenever a story comes on ESPN of Sportscenter that I don’t enjoy; I turn the channel for the slim chance big brother is watching what I’m watching.

The all time biggest channel changing events for me are Roger Clemens coming back to the Yankees, Roger Clemens steroids scandal, T.O.’s first training camp with Parcells and the Cowboys, and Brett Favre never ending retirement talk.

Well look what’s back in the news, Roger Friggin Clemons and Brett “haven’t you ruined my life enough, and I swear I saw you crying on the sideline of Soldier Field 3 years ago” Favre.

Haven’t these stories been done? My favorite part of each of these stories is how the talking heads and columnist start off their opinion with something along the lines of “I am so tired of this story but…” then go on and discuss the story for 10-20 minutes of a couple hundred minutes. IF YOU ARE SO TIRED OF IT THEN STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!

NHL Dream Matchups

The NHL has had a pretty excellent post season for a rating stand point. Yes I know not everyone gets VS (I do!) but I don’t think this year’s ratings should be judged too harsh. This year for the NHL is all about bringing fans back. This is the season that the NHL really reclaims its status as one of the big four team sports in America.

The NHL has been promoting their young stars (Alexander the Great, Sid the Kid, and the lumped together Kane and Toews) as reason for people to watch. What have these young stars done in the second round? AO, Hat Trick, Sid, Hat Trick, Kane, Hat Trick, Toews, 2 Goals. I don’t know if the NHL can build its fan base up based on it’s Stars like the NBA has, but that’s a good way to start. Also 3 of the 4 of these guys are guaranteed to at least make the conference semi-finals.

Besides players, series can draw big ratings. Of the 4 conference semi-finals 3 of them are going to a game 7. Is there anything more compelling then a Game 7? The teams are sick of each other at this point and it’s a winner take all. 1 great play or mistake could end the series. I honestly hope one of these goes into OT.


Another way to get ratings; Big Markets and the Original Six in the playoffs.

Original Six:
Detroit: In the Playoffs. Going to Game 7 in Conference Semi Finals
Chicago: In the Playoffs. Going to Conference Finals
Boston: In the Playoffs. Going to Game 7 in Conference Semi Finals
New York Rangers: In the Playoffs
Montreal: In the Playoffs
Toronto: Missed the Playoffs

Big Markets

New York: Rangers and Islanders in the Playoffs
LA: Ducks In the Playoffs. Going to Game 7 in Conference Semi Finals
Chicago: In the Playoffs. Going to Conference Finals
Philadelphia: In the Playoffs
Washington: In the Playoffs
Boston: In the Playoffs. Going to Game 7 in Conference Semi Finals
Vancouver: In the Playoffs, Lost in Conference Semi Finals


Lastly, Matchups get ratings.

LOOK at the matchups that have occurred.

Battle for California: Ducks vs Sharks
Battle for Penn: Penguins vs Flyers
Original Six: Boston vs Montreal.
Sid the Kid vs Alexander the Great.

Fantastic match ups everywhere. And we can’t forget about the potential of Detroit vs Chicago in the Western Finals.

I have loved this years NHL playoffs. Obviously the Blackhawks playing well keeps my interest longer, but I can honestly tell you, of the 12 playoffs series that have occurred to date, I have watched at least 1 game in 10 of them.



11:05 Start for the White Sox

That’s early. And to make matters worse, Mark B vs Cliff Lee is the pitching matchup. Honestly the game is going to be 90 minutes long. If I was still in college, or a townie like Fodor, I wouldn’t wake up until after this game was over. I do enjoy the afternoon games from a work perspective; it gives me something to continually check back on while working.

$10 on the Cavs!

Mandalay Bay, I’m coming to collect. The LeBrons 8-0 and double digit margin of victory, ridiculous. Regardless who they play, their playoffs haven’t started yet, while everyone else has. [Ed. note– Stop lookin' at my lemonade! I love grandpa LeBron]

No comments:

Post a Comment