Saturday, April 4, 2009

Final Four and Fantasy Baseball


Today is a huge day. At 6, we're getting Michigan State v. UConn, then Villanova v. UNC afterwards.

I'm picking the favorites here. Even though 'Nova and MSU have played great this season, the Huskies and 'Heels have been far and away the best teams in the nation. I wouldn't be shocked at an upset, but I would be shocked if we don't get a couple of great games.

In other news, I joined a public Yahoo!Sports fantasy baseball league, since all of my old collegiate leagues have gone by the wayside. I have always stunk at fantasy baseball. Usually, just sneaking into the playoffs was quite an achievement for the Double Baggers.

After a random draft, my team is looking really good in the pitching staff and a lot less strong in the hitting department. Quick breakdown:

BEST POSITIONS:

Starting Pitching: Led by Giants ace Tim Lincecum, my team also includes the Padres 1 and 2 guys, Peavy and Chris Young, and my homer picks John Danks and Gavin Floyd. The number six guy is former A's stud reliever Justin Duscherer, who has battled injuries since leaving the 'pen but put up excellent stats while healthy.

Second Base: I have two of the best 2b's in the league, period. Chase Utley and Dan Uggla should net me some serious trade offers.

WORST POSITIONS:

Third Base: I'm not too confident with Colorado's Ian Stewart as my only third baseman, although he is also 2b eligible. Might be time to do some work on that Uggla trade.

Catcher: I have Dioner Navarro from Tampa. Right now I also have a waiver wire pick in on Texas' Jarod Saltamacchia ('Salty' for future reference). I hate catchers in fantasy.
Others:

I've got Carlos Pena and Paul Konerko at 1b. Jason Bay, Ichiro, and Vernon Wells starting in the outfield, and Michael Young at SS. Willy Taveras and Jack Cust on the bench.

My relief staff features Jonathan Broxton and Kevin Gregg (yeah, I know, a Cub), as well as Chad Qualls. Trying to decide whether I need a fourth.

Add/drop suggestions? How about Casey Blake, who is 3b eligible?

No comments:

Post a Comment