Thursday, July 16, 2009

World Series of Poker Final Table Set


I don't know if poker really counts as a sport or not, but as some of us on here (okay, mostly me) have a sordid history of degenerate gambling, I thought I'd post this interesting tidbit.

The World Series of Poker has been going on down in Las Vegas this past week. Tonight, the last 27 players were whittled down to 9 for the live Final Table which will take place in November, after ESPN gets around to editing and airing its annoying, annoying coverage of the WSOP.

Tao of Poker is my go-to poker coverage site. Pauly does an amazing job at giving his readers an inside perspective.

Anyways, I can tell you what is by far the biggest storyline in this year's World Series. Perennial Crowd And Announcer Favorite Phil Ivey made it to the November Nine (aka the final table) !! Ivey, long referred to as the "Tiger Woods of Poker" (racial profiling? Nah...), should be all over ESPN's upcoming coverage. Fellow pro Antonio Esfandiari busted out in 22nd.

The winner of the World Series gets around 8.5 million dollars this year. Everyone at the final table makes over a million. Entry cost was $10,000. Wow.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE PHIL IVEY. By far my favorite player. Where's his bball jersey (not profiling, he actually wore a Rockets Jersey at the World Series one year) He so good. I also love the Poker Brat Phil Hellmueth cause he's so damn funny, and Dan Nagrano seems like he'd be real fun to play with while he's taking you for millions.

    ReplyDelete