Thursday, May 13, 2010

30 for 30: Straight Outta LA



Did anyone out there watch ESPN’s 30 for 30: Straight Outta LA? I did, and I thought it was terrible. I know instantly what Fodor is thinking, “Rich White Boy be hating and keeping the Man down.” First off Fodor, your white and from the rough streets of Evanston Illinois, where Northwestern is located so calm down. 2nd, I didn’t think it was a bad documentary and as a white kid from the ‘burbs we all know I rocked Dre, Cube, Snoop and Easy E in my car all the time. The reason I didn’t like it, was because it was a documentary that should have been on MTV, not ESPN.

As many of you may or may not know, I was born in LA and my family spent about 5 years out there during the time the Raiders were in LA. In that time, my Dad watched a lot of Raiders game, and they kind of became his second team. I don’t remember any of this, but have talked to him numerous times growing up about LA and the sports scene. Because of this and other reasons, the Raiders have been one of my favorite non-Bears sports teams. So I was excited, to see what was going to be said about the Raiders. Why they moved to LA, what it was like while they were there, what drove Al Davis so crazy that he packed up and left back to Oakland, only to play in the same stadium he left.

What I ended up watching was an hour long documentary the spent 80% of the time talking about Gangsta rap and how NWA used Raiders gear to brand themselves. Great, interesting story, I know Ice Cube would be talking some about himself, but seriously, the this is a sports documentary.

Where was the sports? The teams the Raiders had in Oakland before the move and while playing in LA had some iconic players and coaches. Marcus Allen, Jim Plunkett, Howie Long, John Madden and of course Al Davis. All of these players were regulated to second class citizens in this film.

Ice Cube wanted to tell his story that involved the Oakland Raiders. He accomplished that, but the sports story was about the Oakland Raiders, not about Ice Cube. I’m glad he made the film, but next time, don’t show it on ESPN.

2 comments:

  1. Or just don't let Cube direct a "sports film." What are his qualifications? He's been in several movies? Great.

    Anyway I think you make a valid point. But rich white boys do be hatin', though.

    Also, the Raiders are awful, now and forever. At least until Al Davis dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The best thing to happen to that franchise would be for Al Davis to get amused by professional iceberg climbing or some other obscure activity and never see him again.

    ReplyDelete