Tuesday, February 10, 2009

No, He Did it Again!!! (Noffke #8)

Cleveland Browns at Chicago Bears: November 4th, 2001 Soldier Field Chicago Illinois:


This game was fantastic for so many reasons. Not to mention a fabulous

season. The prior week was San Francisco 49ers at Bears where the Bears made an improbable comeback and then Mike Brown had the Pick six or TAINT (Touchdown After Int) in overtime to win the game. I sat around stunned watching thinking I’d never see anything like it again. I was partly right.


The next week I watched the entire game. It was a terribly frustrating game as the Bears offense would have been happy to have been anemic. Every big play Cleveland needed they got and the Bears couldn’t make the same plays. At the two minute mark, I said screw it, got up and left. I had a thing going on at church and I was already going to be late, so I figured I should get going cause the Bears were done.

Even as frustrated as I was I turned on the radio to the game. I figured at least I could hear the post game analysis. As I was driving to church Shane Matthews throw a touchdown pass to Marty Booker. I was happy to be close. As I was pulling into the parking lot the Bears successfully completed the onside kick. I was like ok, I’ll stay in the car until the game is over. I listened as the Bears completed a few short passes and all they had left to do was throw a hail mary. The ball went up and Rookie David Terrell out jumped everyone to knock the ball into the hands of James Allen for the game tying touchdown. I was no going nuts in my car. I decid/ed to stay until it was over. In overtime, Bryan Robinson tipped the ball up into the hands of guess who? Yup Mike Brown for his second game winning TAINT in OT in as many weeks.

As I finally arrived to my church function I ran into my good friend Bryan Schlake and here was the exchange
BS: Man bummer about the Bears today
SN: No man they won
BS: No they didn’t
SN: Yes they did, Mike Brown intercepted the ball and ran it back for the win
BS: No, that was last week
SN: Yeah, and he did it Again!
BS: NO WAY!
Just a fantastic experience. Had I watched it instead of giving up hope and listening in the car might not have made my top ten but everything, season, week before, leaving, sitting in the church parking lot, the conversation with Schlake all together made it amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment