Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rants and Ramblings

Alright, so I’ve been in Vegas and unable to update here but there were a few topics that I wanted to write about before I left. This is going to be a quick rant on a few subjects. We need to come up with a catchy name for this, but until then I guess we will call this Steve’s Rant

Michael Phelps:
To be fair, I was cheering against him in the Olympics (just to tie Spitz record not for him to lose every race. Why? IU love) but he won 8. Which is a great impressive feat, but people, can we please stop calling him the greatest Olympian ever! He is in the picture for greatest Olympian ever but come on. Is 2 Olympics of excellence in your sport better then 4 Olympics? Is what he did better then Jesse Owens in Berlin? I am not going to say it is or isn’t but to call him the greatest Olympian because he has the most medals is just dumb. He participates in an event that gives out the most medals. How many games did the Redeem Team play and they only got one Medal. Is he really that much better of and Olympian then all of those guys?

Now that the Olympics are over he is milking it for all it’s worth (not saying I wouldn’t) but I have been wishing he would just go away.

So now you know how I feel about Mr. Phelps. Now he’s in the news again for the Pot Picture. Honestly are we that surprised? All he has been doing since the summer is going around the world and partying. Every Ravens game he goes to we see him with his cool sideways hat and drinking. He got a DUI when he was 19. So I mean really, are we that surprised. Again I just want him to go away (and yes I hate myself for googleing Michael Phelps images to find those)

Madison Square Garden Performances:
This is one of the biggest non-stories ever! I understand there was nothing going on in the world of sports besides basketball but who cares what people do in the Garden. Kobe scored 61! Amazing! All he did was shoot, he didn’t pass (sorry 3 assist is a joke) he didn’t rebound (how can he not luck into at least 1 board). This then followed by LeBron coming in his 52 point triple double that on second look wasn’t a triple double. Wow! Look at LeBron show up Kobe. Give me a break, the Knicks suck and are coached by D’antoni who is trying to reenact his Seven Seconds or Less offense, which creates a lot of quick shots and doesn’t really care about defense. So it’s no surprise they had great performances. I understand that stars want to shine in NYC cause the media’s there (the media’s overreaction to this is exactly why the stars want to shine in NYC), and that MSG is a “Mecca for Basketball” and is the “World’s Greatest Indoor Arena” (Neither are true anymore) but this over reaction has been dumb. I’d much rather see and be more impressed if Kobe scored 61 on the Cavs or if LeBron put up his triple double against the Lakers (of course neither happened when they played this weekend) but going head to head is how the rivalry should grow, not by seeing who can put up more points against a terrible team. I can’t wait for this story to go away.

Duke UNC.
Hasn’t been over hyped as much as year’s past (ESPN, ESPN2 both covering the game with ESPNU using Cameron Crazy cam, really?) but with Dukie V to call the game I’m sure I’ll get to hear plenty of it. On the positive side, I get to see a bloody Tyler Hansborugh with Broken Nose at least 50 times this week!

All right enough of my rant (complaining)

Later tonight #8 Moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment