Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hoosiers Pro Day


Here’s a good read for the class.

http://mac624.blogspot.com/

This discusses the players who were at IU’s Pro Day. It mentions four guys, Andrew Means, Austin Starr, Marcus Thigpen and Greg Brown, that really impressed scouts with their numbers and times.

Means did really well, which was expected. The article mentions what he plans on for his future in baseball. I was glad to hear this as I have been wondering this for some time now.

My question is, does he like football better then baseball? I know he played baseball last summer and took less money to be able to play football again. I am wondering if he likes football more, or if he thinks he can make more money in the sport? I personally think I would choose playing baseball over football (like Samardzija chose) because of the longer career life. Maybe he will be the next two sport athlete like this guy (BTW, this is my all time favorite link this site has ever posted, heck probably my all time favorite youtube clip, I have watched this thing probably 30 times in my life and I really want this shirt. )

Alright back to the article.

Starr was apparently hurt all of last season, which could take some blame for having such a terrible Senior year after a fantastic Junior year.

The one that really impressed though was Brown. The article says that he ran a 4.45 shuttle. I have heard (and maybe armchair superstar’s draft guru Fodor knows this) that the fastest DT shuttle time in Indy at the combine was 4.84. Nowhere close to Brown’s time.
[MF- According to nfl.com, a 4.45 would have put Greg Brown just outside of the top 10 in defensive linemen 20-yard shuttle. Still damn good!]

Even after workouts I don’t expect any IU players to go higher then the 5th round (and even that might be a stretch); but it’s good to hear that all of Indiana’s NFL prospects did well. I believe Tracey Porter or James Hardy was disappointed with their pro day last year but I may be mistaken.

Anyways I just wanted to recap some of the highlights of the article, but you should read it, it’s a quick read.

Lastly as the article points out, Indiana RB Bryan Payton was at the Pro Day and is a blogger himself, so keep an eye out on his blog for any more updates from today.

6 comments:

  1. Bo Jackson in that link looks like Devin Hester in Pee-Wee Ball. That's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

    I love NFL.com. This is their blog on every major prospect's Pro Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post about IU's pro dady couldnt be more wrong. First, about Andrew Means. I am a great and very close friend of his and everything that was mentioned about his baseball career is totally wrong. He is in spring training right now and will be playing with Dayton up untill the April Draft. He also had the fastest 40 time at IU's pro day from what I heard was in the range of 4.33-4.36 with 4.36 the slowest time of all the scout's times. Marcus Thigpen ran in the high 4.4's so whatever scout buddy was telling you these numbers couldn't be more off. It is outrageous that you would post information online about these guys with there careers ahead of them and it all be totally wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading over the post, I don't really see what your problem is. Are you talking about the article over at mac624?

    Means ran really well, and I heard Thigpen did the same. The only number in the above article is for Greg Brown's 20 yard shuttle time, not Means' 40.

    Anyway, I think it's pretty clear that all of IU's NFL prospects did a lot at Pro Day to impress scouts and help themselves going into their NFL (MLB?) careers, which is a good thing for both them and the University.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I was talking about mac624 article. Almost everything he said was incorrect about Means. That is why people shouldnt be posting things that arent even close to being true. His information about what hes doing with baseball is absolutley in now way right, and his numbers from the pro day were 4.36 in the 40(fastest time there) and he did the bench again and got 18. So, everything he mentioned was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right on. Well, thanks for the correct information! You think Means has solidified a place in the 5th-7th round, higher, or lower?

    ReplyDelete