Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sweet 16: Who'g going to win the Final Four?

So I was asked this the other day by my buddy Derek, “Who do you think is going to win the Final 4 now?”

Instantly I wanted to say Pitt! You know my bracket selection for champion. But as much as I wanted to say it, I knew I couldn’t. They have underperformed in their first two games. So that got me thinking, of the Final 16 teams competing for a national championship who do I think is going to win?

At first glance UConn and UNC jump out after dominating performances the first weekend. I had raised concerns about both these teams and their lack of a point guard health. Lawson came back and played decent if not pretty well in the second game against an LSU team that I really liked. Part of me wants to say these are my new Championship games, but, these were two #1 seeds. They were supposed to roll in the first weekend. That’s why everyone wants the number 1 seed.

Memphis struggled round one but played well round 2. I kind of have a feeling that the winner of the Mizzou Memphis game will be the team that makes it out of the West Regional. That should be a very fast paced and fantastic game. UConn still worries me without Dyson even though Price has played well. I think Purdue is capable of beating them, but I still am leaning towards UConn winning. I don’t think UConn can keep up with a tempo of either Mizzou or Memphis.

I still don’t trust anyone from the Midwest to win it all. Each team has too many weaknesses. Louisville has played well but they are running into Arizona who is on the eff you guys, nobody believed in us mode right now. MSU and KU should be a fun game. Louisville and MSU are both pretty close to home, I think that will help these team and have then end up facing each other where I think Louisville will win

In the East, where Pitt is, I am worried without the home court crowd ‘Nova won’t be playing as well. I like them to beat Duke, but I wonder how much of their performances dealt with sleeping in their own beds and playing in familiar territory in front of their fans.

The team I feel is playing the best over the weekend was Blake Griffin and co at Oklahoma. Saying that, I think they are too much of a one man team to go all the way. If ‘Cuse is hitting and their 2-3 zone slows Griffin down, do you really trust anyone else to score. This is how I would stop Griffin (Yes a little over the top, but he tried to let go, but Griffin wouldn’t let him. Worth of a T but not ejection) UNC will probably come out of this region but I would feel better if I know Lawson was 100% healthy.

So looking at all of this who do I think is going to win? Crap I don’t know, I guess I’m sticking with Pittsburgh, Sadly.

Who do you thinks going to win. Post Comments and let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I may have picked all of the first and second rounds wrong, but at least my champ game is still alive. Go Heels, Go Mizzou.

    ReplyDelete