Friday, March 27, 2009

Weekend Watch 03/27/09


Alright some quick thoughts on the tourney last night before the weekend watch. (AP Photo)


Purdue vs UConn

I thought this game was going to be better then it was. The two things I really noticed about the game;

Purdue's shooting was off all night. I commented a few days ago that Purdue was capable of winning, but the way they were shooting last night, I knew that wasn’t going to happen.

UConn’s size was a bigger factor than Purdue’s speed. Purdue did play pretty solid defense all night, but UConn’s size was throwing off their shots the entire night. I thought Purdue did play well all in all, but UConn’s size and PU's lack of shooting is why they couldn’t win. UConn has still been the best looking team in the tournament thus far.

I was very upset with CBS last night. I realize that they think the entire country loves Duke, but come on, the Memphis vs Missouri game was the game I was looking forward to more then any of the tournament. Illinois borders Missouri so I see no reason we should not have gotten this game. Luckily I had my computer so I just watched it on there.

The game itself was fantastic, with the fast paced action that I had anticipated. The “fastest 40 minutes in basketball” worked well most the night until they took their foot off the gas a little and let Memphis back in the game. I was glad to see the fight in Memphis and not giving up even though Mizzou was beating them. This game was fantastic.

Random thought about Glendale. I know the early game only kicked off about 30 minutes before the Boston early game, but why wasn’t this reversed. It was 5 o’clock local time on a work night. Compared to 7 o’clock in Boston. The extra half hour would have given people more time to get their and enjoy the game. I noticed the stadium did fill up a lot more later.

ON TO BOSTON!

Man did Pitt look bad. If they don’t come out and go on that run in the 2nd half there is no way they win that game. They worry the heck out of me now. They can look as solid as any team out there but they seem to play down to their competition.

Nova continues to look like the best team in the region. They look so good, in fact, it almost makes you forget they were losing for a long stretch in their opening round game against American. Pitt vs Nova should be a good matchup. I think Blair should have a good game against the Nova front court.


WEEKEND WATCH

NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament: 7 EST CBS

Lots of good games tonight! The one that I am circling is Michigan St vs Kansas. Izzo vs Self. Old vs Young. Kansas has been playing fantastic all year even though they lost a lot of talent. They have played better as the year went on and they gained more experience. I think MSU’s experience will carry them through this game.

Who I want to win: Michigan State (for big ten love)
Who I think will win: Michigan State

Here’s what else is on the schedule.

Syracuse vs Okalahoma. I am really excited to see the 2-3 vs Blake Griffin.

Who I want to win: Oklahoma
Who I think will win: Syracuse

Gonzaga vs North Carolina: I have heard this is the best defensive team Few has ever had at Gonazaga. Can they stop T? How healthy is Lawson?

Who I want to win: Gonzaga (Take that Fodor)
Who I think will win: North Carolina

Louisville vs Arizona: The number 1 over seed vs the last team in. I think this game will be close.

Who I want to win: Louisville
Who I think will win: Louisville

New Jersey Devils at Chicago Blackhawks: 8:30 EST CSN

The last time these two faced, Martin Brodeur set the record for the most wins by a goaltender. The Blackhawks are limping down the stretch and need every point they can get to stay in front of Vancouver. They have been playing better since Sharp, Havlat and Khabibulin have been back. Hopefully they can keep playing better. Playing at home should help.

Who I want to win: Blackhawks
Who I think will win: Devils

SATURDAY

NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament: 4:30 – 9 EST CBS

The regional will be upon us with a ticket to the final four on the line.

UConn vs Missouri: Missouri has done nothing but win this march, but they haven’t seen a team with the size of UConn. As I said earlier in the article I think that UConn has played better then every team in the tournament. Will (screw it I’m using the cooler term) 40 minutes of hell allow Missouri to top UConn. I don’t know, but me and my bracket sure hope so.

Who I want to win: Mizzou
Who I think will win: Connecticut

Indiana Pacers at Chicago Bulls: 8 EST CSN

The Bulls just passed the Pistons for the 7th seed in the east. I don’t think it will matter if the Bulls play the Cavs or the Celtics they will probably lose. The Bulls looked pretty bad the last time these two played and the Pacers didn’t even have their best player in Danny Granger. This time they will be at home.

Who I want to win: Bulls
Who I think will win: Bulls

World Cup Qualifier: El Salvador vs USA 9 EST ESPN2

Yes soccer. I know not that exciting for most Americans, but I enjoy soccer, especially when nations compete. This most likely won’t be much of a game as the US has outscored El Salvador 16-0 in the teams last six meetings.

Who I want to win: USA
Who I think will win: USA


Sunday

Goody’s Fast Pain Relief 500 1:30 EST FOX

NASCAR reappearing on the Weekend Watch! This race is at Martinsville. In case you didn’t know Martinsville is .5 mile race track. That means lots of bumping and pushing and crashed. I always enjoy the short track races for many reasons. Even if you aren’t a NASCAR fan, I think you will enjoy this race. You should watch it.

Who I want to win: Terry Labonte
Who I think will win: Jeff Gordon

NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament: 3-7 EST CBS

I will Update and give a full preview once the field is set.

Bull at Raptors: 3:30 EST WGN

Derrick Rose and Company head north of the border to play Chris Bosh and the Raptors. Another game they need to ensure their playoff spot.

Who I want to win: Bulls

Who I think will win: Raptors


Vancouver at Chicago 7 EST CSN

This is more then likely going to be the first round matchup in the playoffs. If either team could get a out right win that would be huge for them getting home ice advantage in the first round. I would like to see the Hawks get at least 1 point out of this game but 2 would be ideal. Again, being at home should help

Who I want to win: Blackhawks
Who I think will win: Blackhawks

No comments:

Post a Comment