Friday, April 10, 2009

Indiana University's Memorial Stadium Update


So a friend of mine passed on this link to me today. It’s a video tour of how the construction of the north end zone at Memorial Stadium is progressing. It is coming along nicely and the exterior is expected to be finished by the start of the 2009 football season.

Now a lot of people out there have questioned, “Why, should Indiana University expand their stadium? They don’t sell out games anyways.”

I myself was one of these people. When I heard first word of the potential idea of connecting the east and west parts of the stadium together during my freshman year (2003), my friend Tim and I would joke constantly about how the powers that be wanted IU to have a horseshoe to be just like Ohio State and their horseshoe.

Even with all the joking about comments about the extra seats not being used. The major purpose of building this extension was not for the exterior seating. It was for the internal facilities to help better prepare the team and bring in better recruits.

Some of the new interior features that will draw in new recruits will be; a new 24,000 foot weight room along with space for more classrooms/team meeting rooms as well as an auditorium, which can be used for film study and chalkboard time. Also, the expansion will be new headquarters for Indiana football including new coaches offices. (This and more information can be found here)

Well now that I’ve seen it progress, I have to say it is looking good and it does make the stadium look more stunning and pleasing to the eye.

Along with the more pleasing look of the stadium, the new seats will serve a purpose. I am sure a good portion of those new seats will go unused for many games; however, anytime Purdue, Ohio State or Michigan come to town those seats will be sold out, even if it is to the opposing team’s fans. As bad as it might be to have the stadium filled with opposing teams fans, it is still extra revenue for the athletic department, which it needs, and is a lot better then asking the students for an athletic fee.

All and all I am exited for the new addition to be complete and think it will provide and excellent stepping stone for Indiana Football going forward.

Let me know what you guys think of the new stadium.

1 comment:

  1. I drive past the new addition every day and let me tell you, it looks amazing.

    My scheme for next year is this - Game tickets should cost the same in dollars as the Hoosiers' win total. (starting at 1$ and hopefully moving up). Cheap tickets will get butts in seats, I guarantee it.

    ReplyDelete