Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Rick Reilly Suck Files

Everybody has a media member (or six) that they just can't stand. Whether it's their political perspective (Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity), know-it-all style of announcing (Joe Buck), or know-nothing style of announcing (Troy Aikman), these guys drive us nuts one agonizing performance at a time.

Sportswriters are definitely eligible for this category, too, and I am pleased to announce that I have found my Worst Sportswriter Of 2009!

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's ESPN's Rick Reilly! Here's an excerpt from his latest P.O.S. White-Collar Suck Up Article, not surprisingly starring America's New Golden Boy, Matt Barkley;

On Saturdays, Marvin has to do chores at the frat. On Saturdays, Matt has to do chores for the football team. Like beat Ohio State and Notre Dame. On the road.

When he's done at the frat, Marvin runs to the games and sings along with the marching band. His favorite song is "Tusk." Matt doesn't sing along with the marching band, but we assume No. 7's favorite song is "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes, played by the SC band at key moments in Trojan games.


Excuse me while I go vomit.

Some people may dislike Peter King for his naivete and Favre butt kissing. A lot of people think Mark Schlereth is awful. And I agree. But for sheer nauseating pandering to the country-club megachurch Beemer/Soccer Mom SUV set, ya just can't beat Rick Reilly.

How 'bout that 47-20 beatdown at Autzen Stadium yesterday? I've never loved Oregon more. Not that ESPN would ever send Reilly out of his cushy comfort zone to cover a scruffy li'l QB like Jeremiah Masoli. But who needs that kind of crap when you're penciled in to the Rose Bowl?
So... I'm wondering. Who drives you nuts in the sports universe? Am I being too hard on poor old Reilly or does he deserve this? And how on earth did I manage not to mention Pam Ward in this article?

5 comments:

  1. Reiley is the most hit or miss writer I know. Marriotti is way up there. good writer who refuses to leave his ivory tower to do some real reporting. Anyone talking about Farve should be shot. i need to think about this more but i will write again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariotti was the first guy I thought of after I finished this article.

    I almost want to name the Worst Sportswriter Award after Jay.

    Rick Morrisey is pretty annoying too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost forgot Skip Bayless! I actually don't mind him on 1st and 10. I know he's trying to be someone who is bring controversy on the show I can live with that. But when he used to write for the Trib, he would have terrible terrible columns where he would claim things like, I told the Bears to draft Moss 5th instead of Enis. WHAT? No you didn't, and had Moss played for the bears, it'd prob be like Oakland for Moss. He was a terrible writer who brough up stupid points that no one cared about. He's way up there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skip Bayless is one of the most annoying ones, for sure.

    From the perspective of "I told you so," Sam Smith's neverending trade suggestions for the Bulls always kind of got on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Greenberg. Clark Kellogg is also a terrible hoops broadcaster.

    ReplyDelete