Thursday, April 1, 2010

My MLB Predictions

Okay, lets start off with the AL:

AL EAST:
1. Yankees
2. Rays (Wild Card)
3. Red Sox
4. Orioles
5. Blue Jays

The Yankees have a stacked rotation and lineup. They have a lights out closer in Mariano Rivera. They are the World Series Champs. I expect them to win this division.

The Rays have a very exciting lineup, especially if BJ Upton bounces back. Evan Longoria is entering his third year and I expect him to be in the running for MVP. They have a strong pitching staff with a strong bullpen. They finally landed the closer they've wanted. I expect them to take the Wildcard.

The Red Sox have a arguably the best pitching staff in the MLB. They have an awesome closer. However, they totally adjusted their lineup in a way that I am not all that impressed with. Further, they don't have that strong of a bullpen to allow their pitching staff to a spot in the playoffs in this strong of a division.

The Orioles have some nice young hitters. Although their pitching is incredibly weak, I expect them to finish fourth b/c of how much the Blue Jays dismantled their team.

The Blue Jays totally dismantled their team. They lost two of their key players in Rios and Halliday. I expect them to finish last.


AL CENTRAL:
1. White Sox
2. Twins
3. Tigers
4. Indians
5. Royals

The White Sox have arguably the best pitching staff in baseball. They have arguably the best bullpen in baseball. They have a fast lineup with some serious pop in there. They can play solid defense. This team has transformed itself to a slow boring team to a fast team. I am excited about their offense and I actually see the Sox finishing with the best record in the AL this year.

The Twins might have won the wildcard with Joe Nathan. Without him, they'll be lucky to get 85 wins this year. They are no longer in the roller dome so their pitchers and hitters are going to be much more vulnerable.

The Tigers went with a youth movement ditching some of their talent, including Edwin Jackson (he was young and had a good year, I'm lost?). I see this team finishing .500 because of their strong pitching staff.

The Indians... suck. I'm just banking on them being better than the Royals.

The Royals may actually finish third, but they are the Royals. For that reason alone, I have them finishing last.


AL WEST:
1. Mariners
2. Rangers
3. Angels
4. A's

The Mariners were close last year and they added some serious talent this year. They improved their pitching talent with Cliff Lee. They improved their anemic offense with a dynamic lead off hitter in Chone Figgins and even Milton Bradley (although he sucked with the Cubs he'll likely revert back to his career averages). The only worry I have with this team is David Aardsma closing. I think he'll suck again. However, with those changes and the decline the Angels are sure to see is enough for the Mariners to take the division.

The Rangers have some nice hitting along with some decent pitching in both the bullpen and the starting lineup. They could easily win this division, however, I just don't think they are as talented as the Mariners. I think you'll see their pitching break down (as usual). I could see them finishing 3rd in this division.

The Angels lost some key players in John Lackey and John Washburn (although I think they lost him a few years back). They also lost Chone Figgins as their leadoff hitter and Vlad as a hitter. I do not see them maintaining their reign on top of the AL West.


Now on to the NL

NL EAST:
1. Phillies
2. Mets (Wildcard)
3. Braves
4. Marlins
5. Nationals

The Phillies have a strong rotation a strong bullpen and a strong lineup. They have been to the World Series both last year and the year previous. They are 1-1 in the World Series. I don't see them suddenly declining.

The Mets, if they can stay healthy, are a solid team and may sneak into the playoffs this year. A strong lineup and solid pitching rotation can carry them.

The Braves have a bright future, I just don't see it happening this year.

The Marlins seem to try to ruin their chances every time they develop talent by getting rid of that talent. However, they do have a good offense and I could see them beating out the Braves and possibly the Mets.

The Nationals suck. They have no offense, no pitching, no defense. Worst team in the MLB.

NL CENTRAL:
1. Cardinals
2. Cubs
3. Brewers
4. Reds
5. Astros
6. Pirates

The Cardinals are the best team in this division and I think they will run away with it. Led by a solid offense and good arms.

The Cubs could win the division if they can turn around their hitting and their pitching hasn't aged too much.

The Brewers aren't what they were two years ago, however they do have some very good players. Rumors are that they will trade Fielder before the All-Star break, which would seriously hurt their chances.

The Reds are a team that I think showed improvement last year. As such, I see them continuing this trend and putting up a decent fight in this otherwise weak division.

The Astros, I don't really know, I don't see them doing too much. Plus, I'm getting a little sick of writing this up!

The Pirates blow. They got rid of some of their best talent last year, and will continue that approach just soe they don't have to field a real team.

NL WEST:
1. Giants
2. Dodgers
3. Rockies
4. Diamond Backs
5. Padres

The Giants are led by arguably the best pitching staff. They've also got a good bullpen, and I think they have just enough offense to pull off winning the division.

The Dodgers are a solid, but aging, team. Manny Ramirez is what? 50? Probably in whatever Latin American country he comes from. Not to mention he has already voiced that he doesn't want to play there next year. Way to start off the season with some chemistry...

The Rockies are one of those teams that are hard to predict. With good pitching this team could take the division. However, I just don't see it this year.

The Diamondbacks have some good pitching. But I don't think they are any near talented enough on offense, and even in their staff and bullpen, to take the division.

The Padres are going to suck, big time. They sucked last year. They got rid of Peavy. I hope they are enjoying... crap I can't even remember the kids name (although I did like him and this is really bothering me). They are probably going to get rid of their only offense (Adrian Gonzalez) by the all-star break. Not going to happen for them for at least 5 years... sorry Padre Fans.


AL Pennant: White Sox

NL Pennant: Giants

World Series Champs: White Sox

4 comments:

  1. Loved the Article. I Like your world series predictions. Our division champs are suprisingly similiar.

    Best analysis of the article: The Indians... suck. How many times did you use the word suck in this article.

    The only minor problem i had with the articl was in traditional Ryan fashion. You start off strong and long about the topics, and by the end, giving one sentence analysis. Still funny and insightful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know about the problem. The reason was two-fold:

    1) I was getting tired
    2) I just didn't know anywhere near as much about the NL teams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously what are guys smoking, got any left?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's okay, anaylzing the NL is like breaking down AAA.

    Great work Ryan. My only problem is, where are the pretty pictures at? Some of us have attention deficit issues here, man.

    ReplyDelete