Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hall of Fame Players: AFC East


Who is ready for Football! I know I am! I know it’s still 5-6 weeks until training camp starts, but who cares. To fill my need of a football fix, over the next 2 weeks I am going to break down team by team who on their current roster could make the hall of fame and which ones might have their number hanging from the rafters. Why? Well why not? I am sure I’m going to forget many and make dumb choices who shouldn’t be there, so feel free to tell me your thoughts on my list or give me your own list.

Couple rules of how I’m doing this.

1. I’ll be starting in the AFC and then going to the NFC going in this order.
a. AFC East
b. AFC South
c. AFC West
d. AFC North
e. NFC East
f. NFC South
g. NFC West
h. NFC North
2. I am going to avoid selecting rookies or second year players since their career could go either way at this point.
3. I will be using my own opinion and not really basing my decisions purely on stats. Super Bowls help but are not required.
4. Players who’s numbers are retired are assumed to make Hall of Fame.
5. Lastly Bonus points if you can tell me where the players I selected went to college. (I know Fodor is excited)

Alright here we go.

Buffalo Bills

Retired Numbers:

Looking over the current roster I do not see any player who they would retire.

Hall of Fame Players

Terrell Owens: As much as he is a product of the spot light he craves so much, he was, and to a degree is still a great player. He had the famous catch to beat the packers in the playoffs, I believe he still holds the record for catches in a game, 20 against the Bears, He had a fantastic first season in Philadelphia and Dallas before clashing with players and coaches. Made 1 Super Bowl with the Eagles.

Lee Evans: Has been solid, but not great, he would have to improve a lot over the rest of his career to make the Hall of Fame.

Marshawn Lynch: He would need to play a lot better, or play for a really long time for him to make it.

Miami Dolphins:

Retired Numbers:

#99 Jason Taylor: Winner of the defensive player of the year. Him and Zach Thomas were the heart of the Dolphins defense for a good portion of this century. 120.5 career sacks. I’d be surprised if he didn’t get his number retired. Oh and we can’t forget his performance on Dancing with the Stars.

Hall of Fame Players

Joey Porter: Won a Super Bowl with the Steelers. He also feels if he could have won at least 1 more Super Bowl if the Patriots hadn’t cheated in the AFC championship games. He was once one of the most feared linebackers in the league. Oh and he got shot and still played a few weeks later.


New England Patriots


Retired Numbers:

#12 Tom Brady: Do I really have to explain why? 3 Super Bowl wins, and 1 other Super Bowl appearance. First ever 16-0 regular season. Holds the Record for TDs in a season. NFL MVP. I could go on.

#93 Richard Seymour: Won 3 Super Bowls with the Patriots and appeared in 1 other. One a big part of the reason the Patriots stopped the greatest show on turf.

#54 Teddy Bruschi: Won 3 Super Bowls with the Patriots and appeared in 2 others (He was in the 1997 Super Bowl). Has had numerous touchdown catches included a few in the Super Bowl.

I hope some of the O-Lineman get their number retired, but I am not sure


Hall of Fame Players

Fred Taylor: He is a borderline Hall of Fame player, but if he keeps climbing up the rushing yard leader chart, he might get voted in.

Randy Moss: One of the most polarizing players in the game. Has openly admitted to taking plays off, wasted away a few years in Oakland, but he can flat out play. Fantastic seasons in Minnesota and New England. Has appeared in 1 Super Bowl with the Patriots.

Matt Light: Has been an anchor and a staple of the New England Line. Has won 3 Super Bowls with New England and appeared in another 1.

Dan Koppen: Another fantastic player from the New England Line. I expect for these two to make it in, I would hope they get at least 1 more in.

Junior Seau: Has appeared in 2 Super Bowls. He was the heart and sole of the Chargers defense throughout the 90s and most of 00s. Arguably the best linebacker of the 1990s. 1175 solo tackles.

Adalius Thomas: Won 1 Super Bowl with the Ravens and has appeared in another 1 with the Patriots. Is currently one of the best Linebackers in the NFL. He is borderline right now, but a few more good seasons could put him over the top.

New York Jets.

Retired Numbers:

None

Hall Of Fame:


D’Brickashaw Ferguson: Still the coolest name in football. Has been an anchor of the Jets line since he stepped on the field. Still has work to do.

Shaun Ellis: A lifelong Jet who has averaged 6.5 sacks a year. Has been a star among a mediocre defense. Might get a boost from Coach Ryan and improving defensive schemes.

Ty Law: Won 3 Super Bowls with the Patriots and appeared in 1 more with the Patriots in 1997. 52 career Interceptions including 10 in 2005 with the Jets.

3 comments:

  1. Geez. Tedy Bruschi was in the '97 super bowl?

    I got about five of the "From?"'s.

    Brady (Michigan), Ty Law (ditto), D'Brickashaw (UVA), Randy Moss (go thundering herd!), Fred Taylor (I think Florida? Florida State?, Richard Seymour (Georgia), Lee Evans (Wisco), Marshawn (Cal).

    ReplyDelete