Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Top Ten Moments (Noffke #10)

So on armchairsuperstar we are doing a top ten countdown of our favorite sports moments over the next ten days.

Before we get to my top ten let’s take a look at moments also receiving consideration.

Broncos at Bears: November 25, 2007; Solider Field, Chicago IL. I was at this game. Devin Hester becomes first player to return a Kickoff and a Punt for a touchdown in a NFL game. Game goes into Overtime and the Bears pull it out.

North Carolina at Notre Dame: Love them or hate them, first game at Notre Dame Stadium is pretty cool.

Downers Grove South High School vs Naperville Central High School: November 24, 2001; Memorial Stadium, Champaign IL. Played in state title game. Would have made the list had I seen significant playing time or had we won.

Game Day and Michigan State at Indiana: February 17, 2008; Assembly Hall, Bloomington IN. Game Day comes to IU, they spend most the day talking about the Sampson scandal. Get to see Erin Andrews in person. DJ White gets named to Game Day’s “All-Star” Squad. DJ gets hurt in the game. Eric Gordon plays big and IU Rolls

Connecticut at Indiana: February 4, 2006; Assembly Hall, Bloomington IN. Number 22 Indiana hosting Number 1 UConn. I had tickets on the floor behind the basket. Unbeatable view of a fantastic game.

And on to the top ten

#10 2008 NFL Draft

NFL Draft as a top moment. I know it sounds a bit odd, but as my colleague Mr. Fodor calls it Christmas II or Christmas III. I have always watched the draft, many times way too long, but I have always enjoyed it.

This particular year stands out for many reasons.

First off, the best decision the NFL Draft has ever made, shortening the draft clock from 15 min, to 10 min. This made the down time between each pick go by so much faster even if it was only 5 minutes left.

Fodor and I along with a few other friends got together and decided we were going to watch the draft; we got together a plethora food and drinks to devour over the course of the draft. We decided we would wager a dollar on every pick. We flipped a coin and Fodor got the first choice. Of course he took Jake Long leaving me to take Chris Long and well Fodor won my dollar relatively easily. After that we went back and forth guessing which player each team would take. We got a surprising 9 out of the first 10 right between the two of us. After that we kind of struggled and switched to positions and did well again. The bragging rights alone would make it fun, and to see how well we did was even better. I do not claim to be a draft expert I will leave that to Fodor.

Another reason I enjoyed the draft so much was there were two highly rated IU players that ended up getting drafted high #40 Tracy Porter and #41 James Hardy. Seeing them go off the board after watching them play 3-4 years at college was awesome.

Lastly, it was a beautiful day outside which just made the day that much better.

Stayed tuned to tomorrow, if you want a hint it deals with Fodor’s other Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I was trying to remember which one we missed out of the top ten. It wasn't Gholston, was it? Anyway I'll be posting my #10 in a few hours here and let's just say it also takes place in Bloomington and involves refreshments, though the weather wasn't nearly as nice.

    ReplyDelete