Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Armchair Superstar Mock Draft


Steve and I took about an hour in between, well, grilling and sitting around to do our very own NFL Round One Mock Draft. Here are the results. Thank you, Google Chat!

MF: With the first pick, the Detroit Lions select... I hate this pick.... but Matthew Stafford from Georgia.

SN: I agree, they are hoping he becomes the next Matt Ryan. They have a lot of holes, and it could be a long rookie season for Mr. Stafford.

MF: Yeah. The problem is, he is not even remotely Matt Ryan. Anyway, that's the pick.

SN: He's not even a Flacco.

MF: exactly.


SN: St Louis Rams: Second overall Pick: Jason Smith from Baylor.

They are looking to find the replacement for Pace. There is good tackle talent early, and I think he's the smart pick here.

MF: Yep. Great pass blocker, solid all around pick.


I think this third pick is as no-brainer – #3- Kansas City selects Aaron Curry from Wake Forest. This guy will make Pro Bowls.

SN: a Fodor favorite. I remember the feature you did on him. He can play all over the place now that they are switching to a 3-4.

MF: yes, very flexible, and i think he's a better pass rusher than people give him credit for. I wouldn't be shocked if he goes to the Lions instead.


SN: 4: Seattle Seahawks Select: Eugene Monroe OT from Virgina.

I know people are saying they are taking Sanchez here, but there's value later and QB is not an urgent need. This gives Jones some help on the line and potentially resurrects a rushing attack out west. Also a Phenomenal Pass Blocker.

MF: I agree... Question: Will Monroe turn out better or worse than D'Brickashaw Ferguson (the other VA Left Tackle/High Pick) ?

SN: I think he will be compared to D'Brickashaw (coolest name ever by the way) early and often because of the UVA thing. I think he will mature into a better pass blocker, but I don't know if he will be as good of a run blocker.


MF: Browns are taking Michael Crabtree at #5.

Crabtree is just an awesome ball player. I see him putting up Anquan Boldin-type numbers in the League.

SN: yeah, trading away Winslow, they need another target to throw to.

MF: plus Braylon might be gone, the trade rumors are swirling.


SN: 6: Cincinnati Bengals: Andre Smith.

I do find it funny that the Bengals get him with all the trouble they've had. I think Smith is the top talent in the draft, but has fallen because of the combine and his immaturity issues. He will solidify the line and protect Palmer.

MF: I heard some radio talking heads saying that this is a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation. Either don't take him and look silly when he turns out awesome, or take him and get condemned for picking yet another character risk. Either way, I can't believe Marvin Lewis is still employed. Smith will be a good player.


MF: With the seventh pick, the Oakland Raiders select... Brian Orakpo, Texas, DE.

I bet you thought I was going to say Maclin. But I think they could use an athlete like Orakpo on defense to help give them a tougher identity. Besides, Johnny Lee Higgins is a BALLER! It really depends on how long Al Davis can last outside of his oxygen tent without the blood of children to keep him awake. The best thing for Oakland would be if he has to retreat to his cave before the pick.

SN: haha. I can't wait for them to hire Madden as a consultant. I'd love to see Madden and Davis standing next to each other.



SN: 8: Jacksonville Jaguars Select: Jeremy Maclin WR from Mizzou.

Speedy WR who can return kicks. They do need some Defensive help, but with Orakpo off the board I think Maclin is the choice.

MF: I think this is a great fit; Jacksonville has had a long run of 6'4" wideouts. They need a speedy guy and also a sick return man now that Maurice Jones-Drew is the man on offense.

SN: Yeah, I think Garrarad will be more then happy to throw to him.

MF: (Garrard will be happy not to see Mark Sanchez in a Jags cap on draft day)


9th pick, the Green Bay Packers select B.J. Raji from Boston College

Packers need Raji to solidify that defensive line. I think he's a no-brainer here.

SN: Raji is a phenomenal talent.

MF: I think I know who the Niners are going to take here...


SN: 10: San Francisco 49ers: Mark Sanchez USC.

Alex Smith did not pan out, so they need to figure out thier QB situation. Sanchez will be staying in California.

MF: Poor Singletary. Going from one first round qb flop to another. Butt yeah, that's the inevitable pick.

SN: Yeah, poor Samurai Mike. Can’t do it, can’t win with them.


MF: Buffalo (Toronto) has the eleventh pick, with our old friend Dick Jauron. I think the draftniks have this pick pegged. #11 is Penn State's Aaron Maybin, the second hybrid DE/OLB off the board behind Orakpo.

SN: I think there's going to be a plethora of DE's taken 10-15 the only question is who's going to which team.

MF: I would also not be shocked to see them reach for Jason Peters' replacement in Mike Oher or Eben Britton.

SN: but yeah, Maybin will be a solid DE but can also stand up and play some LB.


12 Denver Broncos: Tyson Jackson, LSU. They will need a Combo DE person as well and with Maybin off the board, Jackson is the right pick

8:36 PM MF: Jackson is a true 3-4 defensive end and a big guy, also a big risk because of questionable work ethic but I think he's the pick here.


And now for the Washington Dan Snyders at #13. Danny selects...Rey Maualuga, LB USC

to play the middle. London Fletcher is their best 'backer, and he is OLD!

SN: i think that's a good choice.


14 New Orleans: Brian Cushing OLB USC. New Orleans does not need Chris Wells, they got their offense figured out. They need defensive help and Cushing is exactly what they are looking for.

MF: Interesting. I think between locking down Vilma and adding Cushing, they're going to be pretty sick at LB next year. They could also go for a hybrid-type guy here.


Houston Texans, #15, Ohio State's Malcom Jenkins.

Houston doesn’t need front line help, they need some D-back help. He's a little slow to play corner, but will be a great free safety at the NFL level.

SN: Solid choice, the Texans defense is shaping up to be pretty nice.

MF: yeah great drafting with Super Mario, Okoye, Demeco Ryans.


SN: 16: San Diego Chargers: Chris Wells RB Ohio State. LT is on the down side of his career, here is his replacement. They don't really need a RB, but I think they would be hard pressed to pass him up.

MF: Beanie! Yeah. He's not as explosive as LT but would be a nice complement to LaDanian and Sproles. Good, safe pick.

SN: Good value for that pick too.


MF: Let's see... #17 is the J-E-T-S J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets. I think they're going with defensive line here to make up for the huge bust last year (Vernon Gholston) and will take Everette Brown from Florida State

SN: No QB? Nate Clemens gets the job? But no I totally agree, Coach Ryan likes good defenses (see: Baltimore), he will go defense first pick.

MF: yeah I think Freeman is a huge stretch anywhere near the first round. Then again, so are Stafford and Sanchez, but it's a bad year for QB's.


SN: With the 18th Pick the Draft the Chicago Bears take JAY CUTLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MF: HOOOOORAY CUTLER!

SN: 18 Denver: Clay Matthews USC LB If they didn't get DE with their first pick they'd take one here, but I still see them taking some defensive player and Matthews is solid.

MF: He certainly is. Have three LB's from the same team ever been drafted in the first round? I can't think of an example.

SN: I can't either.

MF: McShay? Kiper? they got nothin. (Editor’s Note: Anybody out there know? Please post a comment if you do.)


Tampa is picking at #19, and just got Byron Leftwich in the free-agent market.

I love Byron, ever since his Marshall days. Just a classic cannon arm and a good dude, though Jax didn't think so.

SN: One of the coolest highlights ever as his Guards carry him down the field and set him down so he can call out the play and throw again.

MF: But they're not going to go QB or TE here. Robert Ayers from Tennessee. Gaines Adams is a beast in the front seven. Basically everyone else in that front line could be replaced.

SN: Good choice.


20 Detroit: Peria Jerry DT Ole Miss.

After going offense early they now need defense.

MF: They need a lot of things. I think Peria Jerry is a good pick here.

SN: Jerry is a solid run stopper which is needed when 1/4 of your schedule is against Peterson and Forte.

MF: Agree 100%


At #21, Donovan McNabb gets another quick and dangerous target in Percy Harvin (Florida), who can also do some Westbrook spelling on 3rd downs and those little swings out of the backfield.

SN: I like that pick, gives them versatility to return kicks and do all sorts of fun things with him.

MF: He's a good value at 21, too.


SN: 22: Minnesota Vikings Select: Vontae Davis. I know this might be a little high for him, but you always hear the Vikings can run and stop the run. There really isn't good value at this pick to help the passing game so they help the passing game on the other side of the ball.

MF: I actually think Vontae is a phenomenal athlete. His brother is one of the most freakish guys in the NFL (Vernon Davis of the Niners) and its pretty obvious they're related.


MF: Okay. Now it's timefor Bill Belichek to pick at #23. It seems like the Pats are aging at a lot of positions. I think they'll go with the best value here and take Brandon Pettigrew from Oklahoma State. Benjamin Watson has not exactly intimidated people at TE. I think Brady will be happy to get a great check down guy (well, another one. He already has Welker).


SN: 24: Atlanta; Darrius Heyward-Bey Maryland. Looking for a target for Ryan. He's got some good speed and will love playing on the fast Georgia Dome surface for half the season.

MF: Yep, he's definitely a stud in the measurables. But I think Roddy White and Jenkins came on strong this year, if I'm Atlanta I want to address defense, where they lost a lot to free agency.

SN: I wanted pettigrew damnit!

MF: hahaha, maybe they'll trade up for him.


MF: With the #25 pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select Hakeem Nicks from North Carolina. A polished and talented possession guy who will look great opposite Teddy Ginn Junior.

SN: I like that choice. He's good, and you are MR UNC after all.

MF: The film on Nicks is pretty incredible and he's already played for a pro coach in Butch Davis.


SN: 26: Baltimore Ravens take Michael Oher, OT from Mississippi. Ogden has been considering retiring and even if he doesn't, he has fallen way off from where he was (which was amazing). Oher is exactly what they need.

MF: Perfect pick and the Ravens are pretty lucky he's lasted this long. Only because it's such a good year for tackles.

MF: I see about seven offensive linemen in this draft who will end up 90+ in Madden two years from now.

I think Jim Caldwell is going to go with the character pick, and it's also a pretty good all-around selection.


At 27, Indianapolis selects LB James Laurinaitis from Ohio State.

This kid can really play. Classic example of hurting your stock by staying one year too long.

SN: yeah, Laurinaitis is a good pick here, staying near home, has a real good pedigree, his dad was a real animal.

MF: that was such a lame pun.

SN: it was terrible

MF: ...sigh... it had to be done.

SN: i am pretty sure i got that from you.

MF: I wouldn't be surprised.


28 Philly Eagles: Eben Britton OT Arizona. Their bookend tackles have been around for all 5 NFC championship games, Britton will slide right in and be one half of the bookend for the next decade.

MF: Dead on. Have you taken every Offensive Lineman thus far? That's unreal.

SN: All 7 of them. Not that I'm biased. But it's also that a lot of teams I land on need them.

MF: Next up are the NY Giants.


9:37 PM I think they go value here. #27, Knowshown Moreno, UGA. He replaces Derrick Ward, who went to Tampa.

SN: He is a great value for this late in the round. I could see them going WR with Britt from Rutgers, but good choice.


30: Tennessee Titans: Evander Hood, DT Mizzou. No Haynesworth, no problem. Hood is their new tackle. 6-3, 298, solid player.

MF: He looked strong in the Alamo Bowl. So did Sean Weatherspoon, the Mizzou LB.

MF: Last pick for me, and it's the Arizona Cardinals. This is a tough one.


MF: I think they go with Paul Kruger, the OLB from Utah.

he's a hybrid type too and they could use some more pass rush.

SN: I like that choice. They do need defensive help, offense really isn't a big concern.


32: Pittsburgh: Alex Mack C Cal. If they had a weakness it was their O-Line play. It got a lot better as the year went on, but they still need some help.

MF: I knew you were going to do that!! Still I like sneaking him into the first round.

SN: 8 for 8! Linemen are half my picks; but then O-linemen are half the offense.

MF: I didn’t pick one. That's sad, because I really think it's a strong year for offensive linemen, you just beat me to 'em.

6 comments:

  1. Who you got for the bears in the second round??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Duke Robinson (OG from Oklahoma), Brian Robiskie (hopefully an Anthony Gonzalez clone), or Kenny Britt from Rutgers if by some miracle he falls that far.

    Same (if he falls that far) goes for Larry English, Paul Kruger, or Connor Barwin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was me. Not that Alli doesn't know about football! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way English makes it to the Bears. It would be cool though. Bears should take top talent that's not a QB or TE. We could use help anywhere, not necs need help everywhere though.

    How are you IU people going to survive? Saturday is Round 1 and Lil 5

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see the Jaguars going WR with the 8th pick because they just signed Torry Holt. I think they wait and select Robiskie or Nicks if one of them is available in round 2. They pick early enough that one of them should still be there, most likely Robiskie b/c Nicks will probably be off the board.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Nicks is still there, it's a miracle. Remember how all those "1st Round WRs" fell last year? Yeah, that would be nice.

    It's terrible that Little 5 and Round 1 coincide. I mean, I have to go to the race... wish I had an iPhone. Might have to bring my laptop and pray for WiFi.

    Anybody goanna post today? I've got work til 10ish but will throw something up on the Bulls later.

    ReplyDelete