Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sox Over Twins: A View from the Upper Deck


Should have posted this yesterday, but my procrastinatin' heart got the best of me.

I did the best possible thing on Easter Sunday and went to one of my own personal holy sanctuaries, Sox Park on 35th Street. Since I couldn't talk anyone into heading down with me, I went solo. Now, this was a first. As far as I can remember, I have never gone to a sporting event all by myself! Well, unless you count riverboat poker as a 'sporting event.'

Anyway. Just a few notes from the game, which I may expand later if I decide to 'B/R' this article. (funny pic from SI)

Mark Buehrle was the biggest reason I was set on going to this game. I just love watching this guy pitch. He's not a strikeout artist, he's definitely not a flamethrower or a Kenny Powers-esque character on the mound. But I love the way he controls the pace of the game and makes hitters dance to his tune.

He was in top form on Sunday. After giving up a solo homer early to former Devil Ray Delmon Young, Buehrle settled down and cruised. Even as he was saddled with an unusually high pitch count (in large part thanks to one Joe Crede at-bat where the former Sox 3B took about twelve pitches to go down), the WhiteSox ace induced ground outs, fly balls, and even picked up five K's. His final line for the game– 6.1 IP, 2H, 0BB, 5K, 1ER. And one standing ovation from the Cell faithful. Ladies and Gentlemen, my all-time favorite Chicago White Sox pitcher - Mark Buehrle.

The new guys in the Sox regular lineup looked okay. Dewayne Wise played last year, I know, but now he is going to be a key part of this team and hit the ball well, going 2-for-2 behind Alexei Ramirez. Josh Fields plays a mean third base and swings a mean bat. It was good to see Crede back in town (the Hispanic family next to me had a "WE MISS YOU, JOE CREDE!" sign) but if Fields keeps playing well, Crede will be missed less than other 2005 heroes like Aaron Rowand or El Duque.

I also like Brent Lillibridge and Chris Getz.

Don Cooper's bullpen looked okay in this one too. Octavio "Oh, do tell" (there's a Farmio and DJ Cheesy Nickname for ya) Dotel is a cold blooded 'K'iller when he is hitting the strike zone. Scott Linebrink is rock solid.

On the other hand, Clayton Richard didn't look like he was long for the big league club, giving up two quick hits and a walk to load the bases in the ninth, as the Sox led 6-1. There was a big sigh of relief throughout the stands when Ozzie yanked him and inserted Bobby Jenks.

The big boy looked awesome. With the bases loaded and nobody out, he promptly fanned Crede, then got Delmon Young (who had that solo shot earlier) to ground into a double play. Game over. It's a White Sox winner! This team is going to be in playoff contention, I can feel it.

One annoying side note before I get to the great things about The Cell. The guy and lady behind me and to my right (I was in section 526, second row, seat 14) would not shut up the entire game about their financial status! I'm especially blaming the dude here. 30something, North Face jacket, kept talking about how much they were paying on their mortgage (5 3/8%), how much his house cost ($417,000), what their favorite sushi place was, oh my GOD it was so frickin' annoying. I didn't really notice until the fourth inning, and after that it was like Chinese water torture–he just kept yapping and yapping.

I thought to myself, "This is like going to freakin' Wrigley, except less filth and sticky seats, and there isn't a post blocking the field. Just watch the damn game!"

Well, sure enough, this broseph got up at the end of the game and announced to the old dudes next to him that he was a 'Die Hard Cubs Fan' (read: Loves to go to Wrigleyville as many as three nights a week for drinking, possible baseball), and then asked about the possible locations of bars around the Cell.

Why do Sox fans dislike Cubs fans? We watch the game. You watch for the beer lady to come around. That pretty much covers it.

On the brighter side, everyone else around me was great. The old cooters behind me to my left were classic Old School Sox guys. I think they were also deaf as a board, but they didn't move the whole game and were clearly loving it. The large Hispanic family had many children. They were all well-behaved and watching the game. Awesome parenting! Raise 'em right.

Nancy has picked up some Kayne West "Love Lockdown" on the organ! That was hilarious.

Lastly, all of the ushers and ballpark employees were really nice. And the Best's Kosher with grilled onions is the finest hot dog in all of baseball, bar none.

Nothing like a day on the South Side, watching Chicago's real baseball team.

No comments:

Post a Comment