Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bulls Playing Potentially KG less Celtics

So the Bulls had to win or the Sixers lose to allow the Bulls to lock up the 6th seed and a date with the Magic. Neither happened. So the Bulls got the 7th seed and get to play against the Celtics.

At first I was kind of bummed because the Magic have been slumping of late and might allow the Bulls to pull the upset. Now they get to face the defending champs.

However I read this story on ESPN today that says KG might miss the entire playoffs. This could allow the Bulls to pull the upset. The Celtics won the title last year because of their defense. Now their defense will not be as good without their back line of defense.

Do I think this will turn the tide and put the Bulls over the Celtics? No I still think the Celtics will win the series but this will allow the Bulls to maybe win a game or two.

The most important part of this postseason is for Derek Rose to get some experience. I want him to get used to the tempo and the atmosphere’s of the NBA playoffs which will benefit him in the future.

Lastly, with this KG injury, the thought starts creeping in my head. Well maybe without KG the Bulls could beat the Celtics. Then they would face the winner of the Sixers and Magic. As mentioned before the Magic have been slumping and the Bulls beat the Sixers down the stretch. I am not saying it’s going to happen but, I have gone from Bulls being early exit to an outside chance to making it to the conference finals where they would get swept by the Cavs.

Speaking of the Cavs; First I don’t care that they didn’t play their full lineup against the Sixers which potentially cost the Bulls the Six seed. But without KG, I see the Cavs cruising to the NBA finals. They will be plenty rested by the time they face whoever makes it out of the rough and tumble west. What’s all this mean? $20 into Steve’s pocket! If only I had gotten to Vegas a few weeks early when the odds were still 6-1.

Going out West I heard an interesting stat this morning on Mike and Mike in the morning. The Mavs are only the 5th team ever to win 50 games in a season for at least 9 straight seasons. That’s pretty impressive right. Of these 5 teams, the Mavs are the only team that never won a title. Not only that, but every other team won at least 3 TITLES!!!!! The other teams, Russell’s Celtics, Magic and Kareem’s Lakers, Bird’s Celtics, and Duncan’s Spurs. That’s a pretty Impressive list.

Lastly as bummed as I was about the Bulls missing the 6th seed; I am glad I am not a Houston fan. The Rockets were winning their game, and had they won that game they would have been the 2nd seed in the west. With their loss, they fell all the way to 5. Ouch! That’s going from home court advantage against anybody not named the Lakers to potentially no home court advantage at all.


Random notes

Since the Stanley Cup Playoffs are under way there is only one way to celebrate. By listening to the greatest fight song EVER!!!!

Hartford Brass Bonanza I still can’t believe this is a fight song, let alone a hockey fight song. Yet every time I hear it I love it.

Also I expect the United Center to be like this tonight.

2 comments:

  1. You're right on with the Bulls having an outside shot to win at least one series. This is a really good time to catch the Celts, whether we get Injured Warrior KG or No KG At All.

    Their bad karma from Starbury has gotta catch up with them. Hopefully we can take advantage.

    ReplyDelete