Monday, April 13, 2009

Sox, Bulls, Hawks, Masters, Some Cubs Hate and Random Notes

So as you can tell from the title that this article will be all over the place. I have thoughts on each, but not enough thoughts to warrant an entire piece. So if you want to skip around, feel free.

White Sox: (12:05 first Pitch)

First off, I was glad to see the Sox win their first series of the season. Especially in the way they did it. As Ozzie always says, just win 2 of 3 and we’ll be pretty good.

I was a little worried about Colon, especially after hearing concerns about his arm stamina, but he pitched phenomenal. I still want to see more before I’m a full believer. I also and still concerned about his injuries. Then to have his performance followed up but a solid Mark Buehrle outing after a shaky first time out was good to hear. Maybe that will put to rest some of the rumblings about Buehrle’s off season work out regime. As I said earlier I think our pitching can keeps us afloat until our batters figure out how to hit again. Even if they never do, I think our pitching rotation can keeps us competitive throughout the year.

Secondly, today starts an important series for me. I know some of you don’t find my wagers interesting (not to name names cough Posey cough cough) but too bad. I wagered lunch with a manager in my department, who is from Detroit, that the Sox will win more head to head games then the Tigers.

This game vs Detroit starts an 11 Game road trip. That does not sound fun this early, but hopefully the weather will be better when they get back.

Lastly, Glad to Joe Crede back at Sox Park. He did exactly what Frank Thomas did on his first trip back, Home Run in first at bat off Jose Contreas; that I was not that glad to see.

Masters:

Fantastic Masters yesterday. We finally got to see a Sunday pairing of Tiger and Lefty. Too bad it wasn’t in the final group. But both of them play fantastic most of they day which kept me thinking, these guys could actually get all the way back. They came really close until the limped across the finish line.

A playoff is always high drama. I was cheering for each player, and feel bad for Perry. Bogie on 71 and bogie on 72 to come back to the field and tie for the Masters. But that’s pressure for you.

Bulls: (6:30 CSN)

The rivalry….renewed. Bulls Pistons TONIGHT! I have heard some people call this the biggest game for the Bulls this decade. I find that a little hard to believe seeing how we made the playoffs a few times, even advancing to the conference semi’s once.

Bulls have two games left in their season and are essentially tied (standings) with the 76ers for the 6th seed. (I believe the 76ers have the tie breaker). The Sixers end with Celtics and Cavs. So they could easily lose both those games and open a door for the Bulls.

The Bulls also have a 1 game lead over the Pistons for the 7th playoff spot. Tonight vs Pistons if the Bulls win they will guarantee at least the 7th seed. I don’t really think it matters if the Bulls get 6-8. I don’t see them winning any series. I think they might be able to get a game or two from the Magic or Celtics. Lastly, I hope they end the season with a .500 recorded or better. They end the season with a home game against Toronto.

Hawks:

Congrats to the Hawks from clinching the 4th seed. If you haven’t heard, Game 1 has been announced for Thursday at 7:30 (CST). (Rest of the schedule can be seen here) Hawks went 4-0 vs Calgary and Calgary has been sliding for awhile, so I am happy with this matchup. I hope they make it to game 5 so I can see them, but you would not hear me complaining about a sweep.


Cubs: (Today is looking like Rain Delayed)

Glad to see that ESPN is already on the CUBS'…well let’s just say the national media is interested in the Cubs already. Cubs Brewers on Sunday night baseball followed by Cubs Cardinals on Sunday night baseball followed by two Fox Saturday games of the week. Not to be Cub hating (ok maybe a little) but seriously, there are 29 other teams out there. Yes, I know us Sox fans have an inferiority complex. I know they are a solid team, they draw in rating and should cruise into another easy NL Central crown (I still say watch out for the Cards) but lets see some other teams on TV please. This almost makes me long for more Yankees Red Sox talk; almost.

Random Notes

Coach K is doing a book signing at Boarders on State Street in Chicago today at 12:30 if that interests you.

espnchicago.com launched today so check that out.

Speaking of ESPN, Lent is over and I can watch again. I didn’t really mind missing most of the shows I used to watch (Mike and Mike, Sportscenter, PTI, etc.) It was the games that I missed. There were a whole bunch of conference tourney games I couldn’t see (including ‘Cuse vs UConn) as well as some good NIT Matchups I wanted to watch.

For people who are tired of all the Sox love, we don’t really care, but tomorrow we have a guest writer writing a piece about the Cubs, so check back tomorrow for that.

Any thoughts on my rants and ramblings? Let me know

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like more Sox fan bitching to me, and didnt the Sox get the Fox game this past Saturday? Im pretty sure they did. So please stop all this "the cubs get more coverage, why doesnt anyone like me" whining bullshit. You have to realize that Fox is always going to pick the Cubs Cards game if its on a Sat because Joe Bucks love obsession with the Cardinals and hatred to all things Chicago. Plus its a good rivalry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe Buck is the worst thing to happen to professional sports since Bud Selig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree with that statement and Bud Selig is tough to beat out in that category.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for George W Bush to become the MLB Commish

    ReplyDelete