Thursday, September 3, 2009

Top Chef: New Power Rankings

As you may remember, Armchairsuperstar has an avid Top Chef Fan Base. So yes I do power rankings of Top Chef status. I held off the last two weeks because I don’t want to be like NCAA and have meaningless rankings based on little information. Now that we are 3 episodes deep we have a clearly picture of who is good and who is not. And if ESPN can claim video gaming and poker are sports (yes I watch both) then Armchairsuperstar can claim cooking is a sport.

Top Tier


1. Michael Voltaggio



After a win last night Michael has asserted himself as one of the best. He’s constantly near the top and clearly knows exactly how he wants to cook. At first I didn’t think he would be that good and thought I would soon tire of the sibling rivalry, but it’s clear him and his brother are excellent


2. Kevin “Red Beard” Gillespie



Started off the season with a win (which has been good luck for eventual winners). Had a top finish last night and he stays true to himself and his southern roots in cooking


3. Bryan Voltaggio



The other brother did better then him last night, but he is still a top contender.






Good But Not Quite There

4. Eli Krishtein



He’s been good not great during the first two episodes, but after a top 3 finish last night, this puts him at the top of the good but not great.


5. Jennifer Carroll



Last night’s quick fire winner was tough as nails as directing the troops last night. I thought she did a fantastic job resolving issues and making sure everybody got their stuff done. I think she has the right attitude about this that could carry her far.


6. Ash Fulk



I think he had one of the smartest comments I’ve ever heard on Top Chef. It was something along the lines of “What makes me a good chef, is my skills in describing food.” This is perfect for Top Chef. When his Potato Ice Cream didn’t become ice cream, he didn’t panic, he called it sorbet (or something like that) and never said anything about not getting it done properly. His bread cake for dessert had a super long and fancy sounding name. This approach could help him avoid criticism for missing his mark on a meal and allow him to advance further.


7. Ashley Merriman



Had a bottom finish last week so some might think this is high, but she would have finished in the top of that had she listened to the other chefs and only made 1 dish. I think she’s learned from her mistake and will not repeat it. Heard a funny comment this morning, she was against the wedding challenge cause of the inability for same sex marriage, but didn’t comment on the military challenge while the military has not always been so kind to that. Just intresting.



Middle of the Pack




8. Hector Santiago



He sticks to his roots and has cooked solid food. I think he might be able to hang around long enough and then make a run at it.


9. Ron Duprat



Another cook who sticks to his roots. He made the clam chowder work with little time and 100 degree heat. He has to be doing something right to not be in the bottom three after that finish.


10. Mattin Noblia



Frenchy hasn’t done much to garner much attention from me so putting him here seems about right


11. Robin Leventhal



Another Chef who has been there and hasn’t garnered much attention.



As you can tell this group is basically a no opinion of them group, this isn’t a bad thing necessarily. Make good food, don’t take risks and establish yourself as consistent, then strike when the time is right.



Could go Either Way



12. Michael Isabella



He’s a big talking east coaster that probably rubs people the wrong way. He is confident in his food and always think he knows more/is better then every other chef (similar to Season 3’s Hung, but in a less cocky way). The issue I have with him is he has done ok, but never wowed me with any of his dishes. I think he has potential to do well, but hasn’t backed it up. Also had a bottom 3 finish last night.



Chopping Block



13. Laurine Wicket



Barely held off elimination last night. She probably will go home soon if she doesn’t do better job defending her sub par dishes.


14. Jesse Sanlin



Last night was the first time she wasn’t on the chopping block. 2-3 is not good. I actually like her until she gets on the chopping block where the water works start happening. Then it gets a little annoying. I’m not going to criticize her for crying, cause facing the critics and Padma (ZING!)(Yes that is a shot at Padma) I’d probably be curled in the fetal position crying while talking to myself in the corner.

2 comments:

  1. Those top three are stone cold locks for the final six. I know this is a talented season, but it seems like there are still some pretty bad people towards the bottom half... Can't wait for it to get whittled down to 12 or so, where a few more contenders will emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More commentary after watching episode 3.

    Robin is extremely annoying and I can't wait for her to go. Michael, Laurine, and Jesse have very little talent and I don't even think they would be in the top half of any previous season.

    And once Mattine is gone, I think we'll be down to the legit contestants. He's not that good, and he wears that bandanna like a poodle or small terrier.

    I actually like Ron and Hector a lot, and I think they can both cook pretty legitimately, despite their funny accents. But the top four are extremely clear to me.

    1) Red Beard
    2) Voltaggio (A) either one
    3) Voltaggio (B) either one
    4) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete