Friday, October 16, 2009

Weekend Watch (10/16/09)

We have a pretty full slate of action this weekend, in fact, we actually hit all 4 of the big 4 sports this weekend in the watch. It’s good to be in October. Also some fun scheduling this week, big college games being played early in the day, Red River at 11, SC vs UND at 2:30. I LOVE IT! Also, all the best NFL game are being played in early game. So here is what the Watch is watching this weekend.


Friday

Phillies at Dodgers Game 2: 3 CST TBS

Game 2 has already started. I did my humble (yes very humble) breakdown earlier today. Enjoy the nice weather of a baseball game, cause it will be the last time all weekend we will see it. (Baseball is predicting bad weather, so game times might be different). Pedro is throwing today for the Phillies. I don’t care how good he was or how much big game experience he has, I do not want 2009 Pedro starting for my team.

Who I want to win: Dodgers

Who I think will win: Dodgers


Angels at Yankees Game 1: 6:30 CST FOX

First pitch temperature for this game is 41, and it’s supposed to rain. Needless to say I’m glad I didn’t cough up $100+ to go to this game. Hopefully they get the game in or there will be some fun scheduling changes for the MLB to come up with. For tonight’s game, it’s tough betting against a well rested CC, no matter what the weather is like. I think Yankees will take game 1

Who I want to win: Angels

Who I think will win: Yankees

Pittsburgh @ Rutgers 7 PM CST ESPN

Big East in on display for the nation again. I do not think this game will be as exciting as last night, but still competitive. Both teams play a more traditional smash mouth football which as a former O-Lineman, you know I love seeing. Plus Chicagoans love Wanny.

Timberwolves @ Bulls Preseason 7 PM CST

I know basketball junkies like Fodor will probably tune into some action. Game features two of last years top Rookies in Rose and Love. Sounds more like a valentine then a basketball game.

Who I want to win: Bulls

Who I think will win: It’s preseason, so I have no idea, Bulls?

Midnight Madness 8 CST ESPNU

It’s official, teams can practice again. ESPN is going to be at UNC, Duke, and Kentucky among other places. These practices involve little practices, but it is a good way to become familiar with some of the better players on better teams.

Who I want to win: Shirts

Who I think will win: Skins




Saturday

College Game Day 9 CST



They are live from the Cotton Bowl. Kirk is going to have to duck out early and run up to the booth so some more camera time for Desmond. I think they decided to go here to stay warmer.

Who I want Corso to pick: Texas

Who I think Corso will pick: Texas


Red River Rivalry 11 CST ABC



Both of these teams have had this game circled on the calendar since last year. Oklahoma needs to make up for last years loss. Texas is still feeling jobbed after being kept out of a national title game by a team with the same record that they beat. Even though OU has 2 losses, this pre-season game of the year should still be a fun game to watch. Also, you want to know why I wish I went to a big football school. Both schools get Thursday and Friday off this week.

Who I want to win: Texas

Who I think will win: Texas

Iowa @ Wisconsin 11 CST ESPN



The Heartland Trophy will be up for grabs in the game, and come on, who doesn’t love BACON! This is a big game for both teams. Iowa still isn’t getting national respect (mainly cause of UNI and Arkansas St) and are actually underdogs going into Camp Randle. Wisconsin outplayed Ohio State last week but gave up two pick 6s for touchdowns which turned the game into a blow out. This should be a good Big Ten Game.

Who I want to win: Iowa

Who I think will win: Iowa

Southern Cal at Notre Dame 2:30 CST NBC



Another game I discussed earlier today. Notre Dame comes in ranked and lots of people think this is the year they can finally topple the SC hurdle. SC has had some early struggles but still boast the best O-line in the nation. If the O-line gives Barkley enough time, he will shred Notre Dame’s defense and this game could quickly become a shootout. If Clausen wants any hope of winning the Heisman, he better beat Southern Cal.

Who I want to win: Notre Dame

Who I think will win: Southern Cal

VA Tech at Georgia Tech and Alabama at South Carolina (The Real USC) ABC/ESPN 7CST

The tech bowl! No not Temco Bowl (still the greatest game ever!) Va Tech vs Ga Tech in what should be the best game in the ACC this week. I heard a quote I liked about playing GT, it’s like a season on themselves, because no one else plays anything like GT. Well lets see how the VT D responds.

Who I want to win: Georgia Tech

Who I think will win: Va Tech

People are calling this a potential upset for Alabama. I like South Carolina but I don’t see it, Bama’s defense is too good and I don’t think South Carolina will be able to do much. It is the battle of my two favorite SEC teams so I’ll be watching.

Who I want to win: Alabama

Who I think will win: Alabama


Stars at Blackhawks 7:30 CST WGN

Good news for our friends outside of Chicagoland, the Hawks are on WGN so you will be able to watch them. The Hawks have been playing well, even coming back from 5 down. They are playing exciting hockey (leading league in shots on net) and are winning. There might be some goaltender controversy, but I am not too worried.

Who I want to win: Blackhawks

Who I think will win: Blackhawks

Sunday

Ravens at Vikings 12 CST CBS

As fellow ACSS writer Ryan pointed out earlier today, Vikings haven’t beaten anybody yet. If they beat the Ravens, I will be a believer. The Ravens are good at stopping the run and get good pressure on the QB. This should really show how good Farve is. The Ravens defense is fast and will enjoy the fast track, but they can play smash mouth with the best of them. The Vikings D-line is going to try to frustrate the Ravens offense. If Flacco has time, I think he will lead the Ravens to victory.

Who I think will win: Ravens

Who I want to win: Ravens

Giants at Saints 12 CST FOX

I am excited for this game. I want to see what the Giants D (mainly the front 4) do to the New Orleans Saints O. Sean Payton (FROM!? NAPERVILLE CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL!) is great offensive coach and is coming off a bye with enough time to prepare for what the Giants are going to throw at them. The Giants had a quasi bye last week (sorry Oakland) and Eli has subtly become the best road QB in the league. I feel, as Ryan said earlier, until NY loses, they are the best team in the league.

Who I think will win: Giants

Who I want to win: Giants

Phillies at Dodgers Game 3: 7 CST TBS

Series shifts back to Philly for the next three days. If the Phillies win all at home, they will win the series, Dodgers need at least 1.

Who I want to win: Dodgers

Who I think will win: Phillies

Bears at Falcons 7:15 CST NBC

Bears return to the Dome where they suffered a painful loss. Last time they played on Sunday Night Football, Jay Cutler threw 4 ints, and the Bears still almost won. The Falcons offense is one of the best in the league, there D leaves something to be desired. The winner of this game becomes the undisputed 4th best team in the NFC. Should be a good one

Who I want to win: Bears

Who I think will win: Bears

1 comment:

  1. Nice watch. I have indeed been keeping up on the Bulls - biggest surprise thus far is that Taj Gibson and James Johnson both look like they will be in the rotation and be good contributors.

    PS - We just cracked 10,000 hits!!!!! That's 3000 from me, 3000 from Noffke, at least 2500 from Ryan, and at least 1500 from everyone else! Woo hoo. And my teachers told me I'd never do anything with my life.

    ReplyDelete