Friday, October 16, 2009

Would you Rather: See Notre Dame or Chicago Bears Win this Weekend




As I am writing this article, I know I am going to get killed by Fodor, Ryan, Jamie and if Colin still reads the site, Colin.

So I heard an interesting question today; would you rather see the Bears win in Atlanta or Notre Dame beat USC? Instantly I know all of you are thinking, BEARS and move on.

But sit and think about this for a second. I will give you four solid reasons why I would rather see Notre Dame win this weekend then the Bears.

1. Bears Can Recover



First off, The Bears can recover from the loss. Yes I want to see the Bears go 15-1 overall on their way to the Super Bowl, but Atlanta is a good team and will be playing at home. The Falcons are 9-1 in the Georgia Dome in the Mike Smith era. So a loss for the Bears in Atlanta wouldn’t be the end of the season. Last year was frustrating and heartbreaking in the Dome, and it ultimately cost us a place in the playoffs. But had we won the last game against Houston, we would have made the playoffs. So even with a loss here, the Bears can recover from.

2. Too Much Tim Tebow



I don’t know about you, but I tired of Tim Tebow just shortly after his first jump pass in freshman year. (I like how people are mentioning him winning his third national championship this year, even though he wasn’t the starter (former Bear Cris Leak was) and was more or less along for the ride in the first one.) I could write lots and lots about my annoyance of Tim Tebowmania, but what does he have to do with Notre Dame Southern Cal? Well if Notre Dame wins, Jimmy Clausen now becomes a legit Hiesman contender and could keep the trophy away from Tebow for the second staright year. Tebow is not having as good of year as he did the previous two, but neither are any of the other major contenders. If Clausen plays well, he could be the QB to take home the Trophy

3. I hate Southern Cal



There are few teams in professional sports I dislike year over year as much as Southern Cal. I think the Cowboys, would be the only team close. I do respect Southern Cal for being brave in their scheduling (even if they always plan on having an extra week to prepare for a big game) but man, they are just annoying. A loss for Southern Cal would ruin any chance this team has for a national title. SC still has a long way to go with a win, but this would end it for good.

4. Love them or hate them, Notre Dame is fun when they are prominent



People love talking about Notre Dame regardless of their feelings toward the school. Notre Dame has been a general non factor most this decade even with a couple of good seasons and BCS berths. Having Notre Dame in the mix and cheering for them or against them (like me and Southern Cal) is fun.

So there you have it, start ripping me, I can take it. Honestly, if I like to see them both win.

5 comments:

  1. I hope the Irish win. I too hate Tim Teabow, but I do think the Bears will pull it off

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, well, well.

    I do hate USC, so I would love to see them go down in flames. But I think a Bears win over an energized Falcons team that just took Singletary out to the woodshed last week would be huge for this team's respect factor, so I would much rather see them win.

    I would also rather see continuing Tebow coverage vs. the media fawning over Jimmy "My mom says I'm speshul" Clausen.

    That said, knocking USC out of the BCS picture = awesome. Replacing them with an ND BCS bid = not so awesome. Both of these teams get waaaaay too much attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I actually took the time to read this article... and WHAT?!? Let's re-examine your 4 "reasons"

    1. Because the Bears might be able to afford it. What about the Vikings? What if they go 6-0. Now we are 2 back.

    2. Yes, Tim Teabow is annoyiing, but who cares if he wins the Heisman. I understand how obnoxious it will be, but geez, if the kid wins you'll have to deal with it for a few months, then he'll get drafted and SUCK in the NFL, and the world will forget about that one moment when he merely became the second person to win 2 heismans. And even if Claussen wins, it certainly doesn't mean that Teabow won't win the heisman. He is coming back from a concussion, and people eat that crap up. Another argument is that Teabow missed 2 games, thus hurting his chances for the Heisman.

    3. You hate USC. This pretty much boils down why you'd rather have USC lose, because you hate them. If Teabow is going to win the Heisman, he is going to win it regardless. So you are basically saying you hate USC more than you love the Bears.

    4. Notre Dame is fun when they win, regardless if you love them or hate them? Can't we say the same thing about USC? Regardless if you love them or hate them, people love to talk about them? And knowing you, if Notre Dame became a national powerhouse again, you'd despise them, and at some point, maybe even rather see USC win this game. You even point out that USC is the same at the end of your article.

    So, basically, you'd rather see the Bears lose, which could mean not winning the division, than have USC win one game AND see Tim Teabow win the Heisman. I just cannot agree with this line of thinking. Who cares what USC does, or Tim Teabow, this crap won't haunt you next year. However, if the Bears miss the division, which could ultimately cost them a trip to the Superbowl or playoffs, then you'll be stuck thinking about that for January, Febraury, March, April, May, June, July, and August. What if Minnesota took the division as a result, got home field through out, and won the Superbowl? Wouldn't that suck just a little bit more than hearing about Tim Teabow for 1 month? Or USC for 1 week? I certainly think so. I think you are letting your hatred guide your emotions too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Tyler Hansbrou... uhhh... I mean Tim Tebow.

    ReplyDelete